Sunday, February 22, 2009

Album as Art-Form: A Sonic Feast


I have been listening to U2's "No Line on the Horizon" for the past couple of days. I have intentionally been listening to it as a whole - from the opening title track to the plaintive final offering, "Cedars of Lebanon." It is a masterful work of art from beginning to end. In this day and age of iTunes and single downloads, it is refreshing to know that there are still a few artists who have the artistic desire, will, and ability to pursue the album as art-form. (remember "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Abby Road"). As much as I appreciated Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" and their venture into the album as art-form (and believe me I truly do enjoy listening to it from beginning to end), it pales in comparison to NLOTH - musically, and lyrically and it is capacity to take this listener to a transcendent place. Experiencing this album has been a sonic feast for both my ears and my soul.

What about you? Is there an album that you experience in this way? Another art form where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts? I would love to hear your thoughts?

Stay connected...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

album as art form, huh? wow, i never thought of that.

no imix for this series? i'm about due for some new music and why should i scan around when someone is willing to do the work for me!

Tara Lamont said...

I love the album and amazed as always how the lyrics just seem to appear in my memory. I too was caught on the line..." I was born, I was born to sing for you."

Lovely artwork from beginning to end from the guys in U2! Stay posted, they have another release coming in 2010, Rolling Stone says so!